The project would widen Highway 1 from the Freedom Boulevard interchange to the State Park Drive interchange; and construct Segment 12 of the Coastal Rail Trail along the Santa Cruz Branch Line railroad right of way, from State Park Drive to Rio Del Mar Boulevard. The project area is shown in the map below. The project includes:
- Auxiliary lanes would be constructed in the northbound and southbound directions of the highway. These lanes would connect the interchange entrance and exit ramps, thereby extending the weaving and merging distance between the ramps. This would include:
- Widening or replacing the two highway bridges over Aptos Creek and Spreckels Drive;
- Replacing the two railroad bridges over Highway 1.
- Bus-on-shoulder features would widen and improve Highway 1 shoulders at the interchanges, to allow future bus operations on the shoulders of Highway 1 through the interchanges during peak congestion periods. Buses would use the auxiliary lanes between the interchanges.
- Coastal Rail Trail Segment 12 would be constructed from Rio Del Mar Boulevard to State Park Drive within the Santa Cruz Branch Line railroad corridor, which is an active freight line. This trail segment is part of the proposed Monterey Bay Sanctuary Scenic Trail (Coastal Rail Trail) within the coastal rail corridor from Watsonville to Davenport.
Click here to view the project fact sheet.
Click here to view the Spanish version of the project fact sheet.